Chickpea and tomato curry
Recipe Type: Vegetarian, Gluten free
Try this aromatic vegetarian curry on its own, or with some basmati rice and/or cashews, for a more wholesome option. Super quick too! Serves 4.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin**
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander**
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric**
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder**
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 420g can chopped tomatoes*
- 5cm-piece fresh ginger, grated
- fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it’s wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
- ** You can find pre-mixed curry powders, from mild to hot, for a quicker option
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic. Fry until golden. Add spices and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add chickpeas. Coat in spices then add tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Add ginger and stir well. Serve garnished with coriander (if using).
- Tip: Make this curry in advance to allow flavours to mingle, then reheat when ready to serve.
About this Recipe[br]Recipe by: Sally Travis[br]Photography: Melanie Jenkins[br]First Published: September 2009[br]Originally published by Healthy Food Guide