Red lentil bolognese
Recipe Type: Vegetarian; Low fat; Dairy free; Gluten free
This is a great vegetarian alternative to traditional mince bolognese. Great served with green salad.
- 1 cup red lentils, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 x 400g tins canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons pesto (add more or less to your taste, for GF/DF check the ingredients label, alternatively use fresh or dry herbs: oregano, basil, parsley)
- salt and pepper
- Step 1 Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Pour in the lentils and stir to ensure they do not stick to the base of the saucepan. Boil the lentils for 8-10 minutes or until soft.
- Step 2 Heat the oil in a medium pan and sauté the onion and garlic until soft. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and herbs, then stir in the lentils. Season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer until flavours develop, around 15 minutes
- About this Recipe
- Recipe by:
- Sophie Gray.
- Photography: Joanna Wickham
- First Published:
- April 2007
This recipe was originally published by [url href=”http://http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2007/april/red-lentil-bolognese”]Healthy Food Guide[/url]